Lilith Fair celebrates women's music

Billed as "a celebration of women in music," Lilith Fair is one of this summer's must-see events. The festival, which is touring the United States and Canada, features both well-established and up-and-coming women in the musical scene.

Performing at Great Woods in Mansfield, Mass., on Tuesday were Sarah McLachlan, Tracy Chapman, The Cardigans, Paula Cole, Fiona Apple and Juliana Hatfield, among others.

Nearly 40 Dartmouth students attended the Great Woods concert.

Of the nearly 20,000 at Great Woods, the majority were women. Men were few and far between -- a pity since they missed a great show.

Lilith Fair was organized by musician Sarah McLachlan and her manager. McLachlan was angered by the treatment of women in the music industry and conceived of Lilith Fair as a way to showcase women artists.

In an interview with the New York Post, McLachlan said, "Three years ago promoters were really scared to put two women on the same bill. Now, the climate has changed dramatically. We've proved it can be done."

The tour has been a success, with uniformly good attendance. Lilith Fair is equal parts savvy marketing and feminist statement.

However, for all the talk of female empowerment, there were far too few women in the bands. Though they were all fronted by women, the other band members were overwhelmingly male. Where were all the talented female drummers and guitarists?

McLachlan, who performs at every performance, was at her best this Tuesday. She played songs from her new album, "Surfacing," including the widely played "Building a Mystery."

In "Surfacing," McLachlan explores her darker side. She admitted that "the more depressing the song, the more I enjoy singing it." Her lush voice and emotive lyrics were very popular with the crowd.

Another favorite was the Swedish pop group, The Cardigans. Lead vocalist Nina Persson introduced The Cardigans' hit single, "Lovefool," as a song about "love and foolishness." With its trite lyrics and vapid singing, it's more about foolishness, but the song was a definite crowd-pleaser.

In between numbers from her newest release, "Tidal," Fiona Apple managed to severely irritate the crowd. At one point Apple ordered the crowd to "Shut up!" The audience was still too loud for her, so she emitted a painful, ear-busting screech until she got everyone's attention.

All the fuss was so she could inform the crowd she had just seen a strange bug on her microphone, which she viewed as a good omen.

Tracy Chapman may be the best-received artist of the show. The crowd was on its feet for her entire set.

Lilith Fair got its name from the Lilith of Jewish folklore. She was Adam's first wife, who refused to submit to him just because she was female. Adam's second wife, Eve, was a bit more docile.