Delta Pi to affiliate with national sorority

The sisters of Delta Pi Omega sorority have decided to become nationally affiliated.

The new sorority had previously decided to remain a local organization in April, but some of the sisters' goals for their chapter changed when they returned to campus Summer term, Delta Pi President Jil Carey '99 said.

"With all of us finally back on campus, or at least readily available by phone, we decided to consider the national issue once more, with every sister actively involved in the process," Carey said.

She said the resulting discussions led to the decision to become affiliated with a national sorority.

"Adopting a national will enhance the organization we have created by connecting us with a network of extensive resources," Carey said.

The sorority does not yet know when it will become national as the process is still in the beginning stages.

"Currently, we are working with information from national organizations, investigating the feasibility of affiliation and sorting through our own preferences," Carey said.

Representatives from the national headquarters of some sororities have already made visits to the campus to speak with the women. Alpha Xi Delta sorority administrators came to Dartmouth in early April.

Although Carey said she could not reveal the national affiliations Delta Pi is considering, she said choosing a national sorority is difficult because there is a different stereotype surrounding each sorority on every campus.

But Jenny Carol, executive director of the national headquarters of Alpha Xi Delta, said the Delta Pi sisters re-contacted the national sorority two weeks ago.

Carol said although Alpha Xi Delta was having serious discussion with Delta Pi, nothing has been "set in stone" yet.

Alpha Xi Delta has 111 chapters. If the women of Delta Pi decide to adopt Alpha Xi Delta, Dartmouth would be the organization's first Ivy League chapter.

"We think they're a wonderful group of young women," Carol said. "We hope whatever decision they make, they're happy with it."

Carol said there are many ways Alpha Xi Delta could establish a Dartmouth colony chapter depending on the "campus environment." This would be determined later, if Delta Pi decided to affiliate with the national sorority.

Delta Pi had originally decided against affiliation with Alpha Xi Delta.

Emily Atkinson '99 told The Dartmouth in April that while the sisters "thought Alpha Xi was great, we didn't want to join them just so we would be better off for rush in the fall."

Delta Pi will take part in the Panhellenic Council's regular rush process this fall, the first time they will do so as a College-recognized sorority.

Carey said the reversal of the decision to remain local was not made in consideration of rush.

"We definitely wouldn't have made the decision just for rush," Carey said. "It's a lifetime commitment."

She said she was not worried about national affiliation affecting students' opinions about the house during rush in the fall.

"Being new, regardless if we're Delta Pi or national, we're going to make our own image," she said.