Former geography professor dies

The Dartmouth flag is at half-staff today for Van Harvey English, a former geography professor at the College, who died at the age of 82 on Sunday at his home in Hanover.

English taught at the College for 33 years, from 1946 to 1979, and he also served as chair of the geography department.

English specialized in cartography and Latin American studies during his time at the College. He was also member of the American Association of Geography and the American Geographic Society.

The Dartmouth Bible, an abridgment of the King James version published in 1950, featured maps drawn by English.

Born on July 18, 1914 in Miami, Fl., English soon moved to Greeley, Colo.

He graduated from Colorado State College in 1936 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He attended Clark University in Worcester, Mass. and received his Ph.D. in 1942.

As an employee of the Office of Strategic Services in Washington, D.C., English served under Chief-of-Staff George Marshall from 1942 to 1945. He was also a geographer for the State Department in Washington in 1945 and 1946.

English was a visiting professor at the Colorado State College of Education during the summers of 1941 to 1947.

English is survived by his widow Frances Wilder Lake of Norwich, Vt., his children Gwendolyn Warner English, Martha L. Healey, Peter Ryder Lake and Anne L. Rennie; nine grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Contributions in English's memory can be sent to the Upper Valley Land Trust, the Montshire Museum of Science or the American Heart Association. A private funeral service and burial will be held at the convenience of the family.