DDS, Help Us Help You

Students criticizing the changes Dartmouth Dining Services implemented for the Summer term must realize that cutbacks both in hours and services are a necessary and yearly response to decreased summer business.

Also, during last term's referendum, students overwhelmingly indicated their preference for DDS cutbacks over increased mandatory spending. Although Dining Services did not comply with every single student request, in this case we got what we asked for.

And despite expanded Declining Balance Account choices, this year's summer hours of operation are actually very similar to those that DDS adopted last summer.

While the changes to DDS may take some time to get used to, DDS, for the first time, appears to be noticeably responding to student requests.

DDS is making the best of a bad financial situation. But they must do their part to ensure that students fully understand the new DBA system and must sufficiently publicize both the system and the adjusted hours. DDS, help us help you by keeping your customers informed. Some students are still unaware of the summer schedule and DBA operating procedures.

DDS must also continue to solicit and incorporate student suggestions. One example is the inclusion of Home Plate offerings -- like the popular sandwich bar and Garden Burgers -- as a part of the summer Food Court menu.

The events of last term left many students bitter and suspicious of the entire DDS establishment. Changes like those in Food Court are a small step towards healing the rift and restoring student satisfaction with Dining Services. The effort to ensure positive DDS-student relationships is the responsibility of both groups.

DDS must constantly adapt to student needs to create financial health. Students must do their part by being understanding as DDS becomes more attentive to the needs of itscustomers and must understand the limitations on services DDS can reasonably afford to offer.