Beta house has no tenants yet

Although the Beta Theta Pi alumni corporation last month invited several parties, including the College, to lease the house owned by the corporation and formerly occupied by the fraternity, no decisions have been reached yet about the future of the property at 6 Webster Ave.

"We haven't decided anything yet," Beta Advisor Bill Glos '58 said. He said a decision will likely be made by Aug. 1.

The Beta alumni corporation invited numerous parties, including the College, to lease the house temporarily until they can reorganize and reinstate Beta at Dartmouth, Glos told The Dartmouth last month.

The house has sat empty since December, when the College dissolved the Dartmouth chapter of Beta and forced members to vacate the house.

The College revoked Beta's recognition after a series of violations by the fraternity. Former members are paying the Beta Trustees thousands of dollars for damages they caused to the house after learning of the College's decision.

Last month the lease price was listed at $5,000 per month, but Glos said the figure might be negotiable.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said the College "has been in contact with a representative of the Beta Trustees regarding the future use of the house."

Pelton said as a general rule, "the College is interested in acquiring property that is contiguous to campus," and since the former Beta house at 6 Webster Ave. is located near the center of campus, the property is attractive.

"The College has not reached a final determination about how that space would be used should the College acquire it or lease it," Pelton added.