Shewmaker studies history

History Professor Kenneth Shewmaker's office in Reed Hall is full of evidence of his two passions -- history and fly-fishing. Shelves of books, many of them written by Shewmaker himself, and pictures of fly-fishing decorate the room.

Shewmaker, a professor at Dartmouth for almost 30 years, said the quality of Dartmouth's students is the reason he continues to teach at the College.

Although he was born and raised in Los Angeles, Shewmaker has made a complete transition from Westerner to Yankee during his time here, he said.

"I knew very little about Dartmouth," he said. "I was a Westerner and was getting started on becoming a Southerner when I came here."

After his upbringing in California, Shewmaker attended Concordia College in Oakland, Calif. and River Forest, Ill. He continued his education to receive his Masters in History from the University of California at Berkeley and his Ph.D. in History from Northwestern University.

Shewmaker taught at Northwestern for a year after completing his studies and then taught for a year at William and Mary College in Virginia, when he received a job offer for a professorship at Dartmouth.

An ordeal by fire

But Shewmaker said he decided to come interview at Dartmouth after meeting Lou Morton, the former chair of Dartmouth's history department, at a convention at William and Mary College.

One of his first encounters with Dartmouth was an "ordeal by fire" that occurred during the interview process.

Shewmaker said the history department normally has each job candidate hold a seminar in which the applicant presents a paper and discusses it with all of the department members.

"We give [the candidates] a pretty rigorous time," he said. "But they forgot to tell me I was going to have this seminar."

He realized this when the department told him he had an hour before his seminar and asked if he would like to be alone in order to prepare.

"I had nothing to present, so I just talked about my current research," he said. "I really enjoyed it. I didn't have time to get nervous."

He accepted Dartmouth's offer and has been here ever since.

The professor and Daniel Webster

Shewmaker's focus on American foreign policy is reflected in the courses he teaches at Dartmouth and in his research.

Although he came to the College with a primary interest in American-Chinese foreign relations, Shewmaker said his interest has now shifted to studying American orator and Dartmouth alumnus Daniel Webster.

"Dartmouth has the best collection of [Daniel] Webster documents on Earth," he said.

This interest reflects Shewmaker's obsession with original documents, which he said are a historian's main tool. It is for this reason that the recent release of documents from the former Soviet Union and the nations that were in its East European bloc has captured Shewmaker's attention.

"Finally I could teach the Cold War as history," he said.

Before the release of Soviet Cold War documents, Shewmaker said he was "writing history with one hand behind my back. I interpreted the Cold War as a geopolitical struggle."

He said he has since changed his mind after reading documents and seeing the more important role of ideology in the conflict.

"There's now a flood of new information," he said.

Dedicated students

As dedicated as Shewmaker may be to his research, it is Dartmouth's "very talented" students that keep him at the College, Shewmaker said.

Shewmaker, who has won two teaching awards, is truly an example of a Dartmouth professor who teaches for the sake of teaching.

"It's very rewarding to interact with Dartmouth students," he said. "Just about all of them are capable of excellent scholarship."

Shewmaker's students cite his positive attitude and his knowledge of history as reasons for loving his classes. Abigail Smith '98, Shewmaker's Presidential Scholar research assistant this term, said she has enjoyed working with him. She is currently doing research on Daniel Webster and slavery.

"He's really an amazing professor," Smith said. "He always starts a lecture with a quote from someone."

Smith said Shewmaker has the ability to "energize" his students and foster interest in what they are studying.

Shewmaker is not an easy professor, however, Smith said, but "he's fun to work with."

Brandon Miller '97 said Shewmaker "was probably the first professor who really hooked me on having history as a major ... he definitely made a favorable impression on me."

"He really treats his students with a lot of respect, as independent thinkers," he said.

Bringing history to life

Shewmaker brings history to life by being dramatic during his lectures and by helping students relate events to their own lives, he said. For example, Shewmaker always makes students aware of the role Dartmouth alumni played in history.

Kristin Miller '00, who is in History 1: The United States 1763-1877 with Shewmaker this term, said Shewmaker's love for history transfers to his teaching style.

"He loves what he teaches," she said. "He's also tried to get to know everyone in the class. He's very friendly."

Away from the demands of academia, a passion for fly-fishing consumes much of his free time, he said.

"I love to fly-fish and tie flies," Shewmaker said, and he has taught many Dartmouth students this hobby during his years here. "That's my hobby, and I like to share it."

Shewmaker said he has no future plans except to stay at Dartmouth and continue "doing the best job" he can. He said he does not intend to return to his native California.

"I'm really a New Englander now," he said. "I'm happy at Dartmouth."