Jewish center nears completion

As construction of the Roth Center for Jewish Life winds down, the building of the Moore Psychology building is just getting started.

The Roth Center is expected to open at the beginning of Fall term. The College has yet to decide when Bradley and Gerry halls will be torn down.

They will be removed to make space for the new Berry Library, which will be built beginning this winter.

Assistant Director of Facilities Planning Reed Bergwall said administrators have not yet decided where to locate the math department when Bradley and Gerry are torn down.

The Roth Center, which is being built beside Delta Delta Delta sorority on Occom Ridge Road, will be officially dedicated to the family of Steven Roth '62 in early November, Bergwall said.

The $3 million, 11,000 square foot structure will replace the Hillel House on Summer Street near Hanover High School. Hillel is the College's Jewish students' organization.

Construction has also begun on the foundation walls for the new $26.5 million psychology building on Maynard Street. The building will officially open in June of 1999, Bergwall said.

Vice President and Treasurer of the College Lyn Hutton gave a more optimistic but tentative opening date of January 1999. No major donor has come forward to pay for the building.

Part of the $18.1 million donation left to the Will to Excel campaign by the estate of Florence Moore, wife of Lansing Moore '37, was used to help fund the building. The building will be named in honor of the Moore family.

Since the psychology building has been on the College's list of future projects for 20 years, the Trustees decided to sell bonds to fund the construction, Hutton said.

The building's auditorium and classrooms can still be named after people who make donations in the future.