Hill bows out of Assembly race

Ben Hill '98 announced his decision to withdraw from the race for Student Assembly President last night, citing the desire for increased personal time during his final year at Dartmouth. Unless someone stages an effective write-in campaign, next year's Assembly will be lead by a junior for the first time in recent history.

Hill's withdrawal leaves only Frode Eilertsen '99 and Scott Jacobs '99 on the presidential ballot. Hill offered an endorsement to candidate Frode Eilertsen '98, a decision he called "partly anti-Scott" Jacobs.

"I really think Frode is the man for the job," Hill said. "The empty promises being made by the other candidate are not going to be fulfilled."

But Jacobs said Hill failed to make an educated endorsement.

"He hasn't talked to me at all about my campaign," Jacobs said, "I think that's a shame."

Eilertsen said the endorsement came "right out of the blue." He said the withdrawal will not change his campaign strategy. "I'll still focus on me -- what I stand for, what I believe in."

Simone Swink '98, Hill's campaign manager, said she thinks Hill's endorsement will carry weight with voters in the Class of 1998, since they are likely to be unfamiliar with the two sophomore candidates.

Hill said he felt confident he was the best candidate and could have won the race had he remained on the ballot.