College to announce DDS cuts this week

The College is expected to announce cuts in Dartmouth Dining Services and next year's mandatory meal plan at the end of this week, following meetings between administrators, students and DDS management.

Because the College must mail bills Monday for students enrolled Summer term, administrators must determine the required spending level immediately.

The amount will probably be much less than the $800 students overwhelmingly rejected in last week's referendum.

Almost 2,700 students voted in the referendum to determine the fate of DDS, and 93 percent voted in favor of cuts in services rather than increased required costs.

Students and administrators met yesterday in the first of a series of meetings to make decisions about DDS's future.

DDS Intern Case Dorkey '99 said yesterday's meeting was an attempt to "digest the results of the survey and referendum and output them as a product."

He said the same group of people will meet again on Thursday morning and hopefully make final decisions at that time.

Although some layoffs are expected, labor cuts will not affect the contract negotiations currently underway between the College and local Union 560, which includes most full-time DDS employees in its membership, College Human Resources Director Roger Brock said.

Brock said provisions in the union's contract stipulate that employees with the least seniority will be the first ones fired.

Dorkey said DDS Associate Director Tucker Rossiter, DDS Fiscal Manager Don Blume, Associate Treasurer Win Johnson, Dean's Office Executive Officer Richard Heck, Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia and Director of the Collis Center Mark Hoffman were the College representatives present at the meeting.

Students representatives at the meeting included Dorkey, Rachel Bogardus '98 and Paul Holzer '00 -- the liaisons to the Trustee Finance Committee -- current Assembly President Jon Heavey '97 and Vice President Chris Swift '98, Assembly Vice President of Communications Josh Green '00 and Assembly Vice President-elect Nahoko Kawakyu '99, Dorkey said.