Candidates object to DDS plans

Although all three Student Assembly Presidential candidates, Frode Eibertsen '99, Ben Hill '98 and Scott Jacobs '99, objected to the proposed non-refundable $800 meal plan, they disagreed on the course the College should follow.

Eibertsen said the College should hold a referendum to solicit student opinion. He said DDS cannot help losing money, since their hours and services are not consistent with sound business practices.

"I strongly believe [DDS] should be subsidized" by the College, he said.

Hill said DDS's prices may be higher because of planned dining hall renovations and proposed a referendum for Dartmouth students and administrators.

"The College may have to step in here," he said. "We have to find some way of keeping DDS open without paying an $800 DBA or five dollars for an order of french fries."

Jacobs said the College should "look at the structure of DDS rather than immediately taking the problem out on the students."

He said he thinks DDS should hire more work-study students for positions normally filled by union members, since the College pays each union member between $12 and $18 an hour, while only paying work-study students one dollar an hour because the state funds the rest of their salaries.