Women's hockey set for ECACs

Thanks to a huge upset of Providence this past weekend, the Dartmouth women's hockey team (16-12-1) has been seeded fifth in this year's ECAC Championships.

The team, invited to the championships for the sixth straight year, will take on fourth-seeded Northeastern (23-9-0) tomorrow at Northeastern's Matthews Arena in the ECAC Championship quarterfinals.

The two teams have met three times already this season, with Northeastern coming out on top overall, 2-1.

Dartmouth's one win, however, came in its most recent game against the Huskies, a 2-1 victory back on Feb. 23.

The other two times the teams have come together this season have ended in close defeat for the Big Green.

The first of those was a heartbreaking 4-3 overtime loss on Nov. 24, and the second ended in a 2-1 defeat for Dartmouth a month later on Dec. 28 during Dartmouth's Holiday Tournament.

"I think we stack up very well against them," Coach George Crowe said. "If you look at all the scores over the past two years, they have all been one-goal games."

During the 1995-1996 season, Dartmouth ended up with a 1-1-1 record against the Huskies. However, the Big Green took one step forward in the 1996 ECAC quarterfinals when they also were matched with Northeastern.

In that game, played in Dartmouth's Thompson Arena, the Big Green came out ahead with a 3-2 double overtime win.

But can the Big Green snag another victory?

"We definitely can pull it off," Michelyne Pinard '98 said. "I have no doubt."

The Big Green certainly have the talent to win this one.

The team offers a potent lineup that has the potential to beat any team, as was proven last weekend when the team slammed second-seeded Providence (19-7-2) 5-1.

Junior Sarah Hood leads the team's offense, having racked up 38 points this season (20 goals and 18 assists).

Hood was named first team All-Ivy on Wednesday for her consistent play this season.

Michelyne Pinard '98 follows close behind Hood with 17 goals and 16 assists for 33 points this season.

On defense, veterans Amy Coelho '97 and Jen Lane '98 have provided stability for their team over the course of the season. Coelho, while playing solid defense, has also found opportunity to put away 13 goals this season and has assisted 14 others.

Between the posts for the Big Green, Melissa Siegfried '96 boasts a .881 save percentage and a strong 10-5-1 record.

"We need to keep doing the same things we have been doing," co-Captain Coelho said. "The fact that we just had a huge win against Providence is great. It's a huge confidence builder."

At the other end of the ice, Northeastern freshmen Stephanie Acres (18 goals and 28 assists) and Hilary Witt (21 goals and 19 assists) lead their team's offensive strike.

Huskies goalie Shannon Meyers, also strong in the cage, has a .922 save percentage and an 18-9 record.

"It could go either way," Crowe said. "I think [Northeastern has] a little advantage over us."

While Dartmouth does hold the momentum in their favor from both the Providence win and the Northeastern win two weeks ago, the Huskies do have motivation to win this competition -- the final rounds will be held in their Matthews Arena.

The semifinals and finals will be held on March 15 and 16.