Ex-Topside manager accused of $30,000 theft

Former Topside Manager Bob Jette has been indicted for conspiracy and allegedly embezzling $30,000 from the convenience store in Thayer Hall, Hanover Police Detective Sergeant Frank Moran said.

Jette, who was fired by Dartmouth Dining Services earlier this year, allegedly conspired with W. Frederick Baker of Baker Video, the company Topside formerly used as its video rental supplier.

Jette would exaggerate the number of videos purchased or rented and late fees to Dartmouth's office of Accounts Payable, Moran said. The office would then send larger checks to Baker Video.

"By padding the figures of late fees, rentals and replacement fees, there was more of a cut for Baker," he said. Baker probably split the money with Moran.

Moran said this is the sort of crime the police like to call "a simple split," where the offenders "split the criminal benefit."

Moran said the sum embezzled from DDS is probably greater than $30,000, but they only feel comfortable proving that sum was embezzled.

The date for Jette and Baker's arraignment has not been set.

If convicted, the maximum penalty for conspiracy is 15 years in prison and a $4,000 fine, Moran said. The men would also be expected to repay the embezzled money.

Jette declined to comment.