Men's hoops loses to Vermont

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Vermont's Erik Nelson scored a career-high 22 points and added six rebounds and five steals to lift the Catamounts to a 73-66 non-league victory over Dartmouth Tuesday at the University of Vermont's Patrick Gym.

The win snapped a four-game losing streak for Vermont, which has now beaten Dartmouth six of the last seven games in Vermont.

Vermont turned the ball over 14 times in the first half while shooting four-for-10 from the foul line. But the Catamounts trailed by only one at the half, 26-25, as Spencer Eisenmenger scored eight points and Nelson added seven and all five of his steals.

The Catamounts scored the first six points of the final stanza to take a 31-26 lead with 18:41 left on David Roach's steal and drive. Dartmouth took a brief lead at 35-33 on P.J. Halas' three-pointer from the left baseline, but Vermont came back with a two-pointer by Craig Peper and a foul shot by Nelson to tie it at 38-38 with 14:45 to go.

Vermont went on a 9-2 run, with Peper scoring two baskets inside and Roach nailing a three-pointer in that span. Then Vermont took a 64-58 lead with 1:39 left on Peper's inside shot off an offensive rebound.

The Catamounts were 21 for 34 from the foul line for the game, including 17 for 24 in the second half.

Dartmouth, 11-4 overall, was led by Kenny Mitchell's 17 points and 12 assists. Sea Lonergan added 16 points and eight rebounds, while Keith Stanton, Brian Gilpin and Halas each pitched in with 10.

Vermont is 8-8 overall, and plays again Saturday at 1:00 p.m. at home against America East foe Hartford.