Freshman members get intro to Assembly

Recently elected freshmen representatives gathered with upperclass members at last night's Student Assembly meeting, the first such meeting after the implementation of last week's attendance resolution.

The meeting was dedicated primarily to introducing the freshmen to the Student Assembly.

The Assembly also discussed student service projects.

Campus phones were placed in all dormitory lounges and student phone books produced by DarTalk are now available at Collis Center, said Dominic LaValle '99, vice president of student affairs.

Student Advantage discount cards were distributed to every student through Hinman mail, LaValle said.

In addition to the distribution of Mugshots, the upperclass students facebook, to freshmen, copies will be sold in lobby of Thayer Dining Hall starting tonight, said Assembly President Jon Heavey '97.

Other service plans include a local dining guide for students and subsidized bus transportation to Boston and New York City for students during the Thanksgiving break, Heavey said.

The faculty relations committee is working on placing a student representative on the Board of Trustees, said Meredith Epstein '97, chair of the committee.

Lunches with faculty members organized by the committee are open to all interested students, Epstein said.

The academic affairs committee will be meeting with the and Associate Dean of Faculty George Wolford this week to discuss the professor tenure process, the non-recording option and the current situation of the Latino Studies and Korean Studies programs, said Sarah Cho '97, chair of the committee.

The Assembly has plans to organize an Ivy League blood drive, Heavey said.

Although there is a separate mascot committee, the Assembly will help coordinate the recently announced search for a new mascot project, Vice President of Communications Jonah Sonnenborn '99 said. "We want to reach more all the students, not just those on the committee."

The student life committee would like to see a mascot acceptable to students and alumni, said Steve Salemi '97, chairperson of the committee.