Beta under College investigation

The College is conducting an investigation of Beta Theta Phi fraternity, which is currently under suspension until Nov. 26.

Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders confirmed that Beta is once again under investigation, but refused to comment on the nature of the investigation. Reinders is heading up the investigation.

Beta president Tom Macejko '97 also declined to elaborate on the investigation, but said the College has been investigating Beta for the last two weeks.

"I have no idea what is going to happen," he said. "I don't want to speculate on what the outcome of the investigation will be."

Beta is currently suspended and prohibited from engaging in formal rush this week due to an incident which occurred on June 26 when a Beta brother physically assaulted a member of Sigma Nu fraternity on Tabard's front lawn and verbally attacked a member of the Tabard.

After this summer's incident, Dean of the College Lee Pelton said Beta is a "house on the verge of derecognition."

"If there is another major episode at Beta, it seems to me that derecognition is probably the logical next step," he said in August.

President of Beta's board of trustees Jack Burnett '71 and officers from Beta's national headquarters in Ohio refused to comment on the investigation.

The College has sanctioned or condemned Beta three times in the past six years.

In 1991, the house was derecognized for kidnapping and tormenting a member of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity. Beta was derecognized again in 1994 for hazing one of its members.

In the summer of 1995, Beta was condemned by the College following the discovery of a racist and sexist poem that was read aloud at one of the fraternity's weekly meetings.