Women's soccer defeats Penn 5-1

With seven of the top eight scorers returning from the 1995 Big Green women's soccer team, it is no wonder that it was a total team offensive effort that powered Dartmouth to a 5-1 win over the visiting University of Pennsylvania last Saturday.

Kate Andrews '96 scored on a penalty shot after a red card was given to Pennsylvania's Heather Herson with 5:34 left in the second half to make the score 3-1.

That goal broke open a one -goal game and killed any momentum the Quakers might have built up. Not quite two minutes later, Jessica Post '00 was lurking in the crease and capitalized on a Pennsylvania fumble to make the score 4-1 for the Big Green.

With 45 seconds left on the clock, Jenna Kurowski '97 broke down the right side of the field and scored her second goal of the game, giving her team the four-goal lead they ended the game with.

In the first half, Kurowski took a beautiful pass from Megan Owens '96 and sped past two Pennsylvania defenders to score her first goal of the game 24 minutes and 45 seconds into the match, making the score 2-0. Two minutes before that, Melissa McBean '97 buried a pass from Andrews who had recovered her own rebound from a diving Pennsylvania goalkeeper.

"I think the team was really enthusiastic," Sue Eastman '99 said. "The spirit was high because we had a really good crowd."

With the total shots 29 to three in Dartmouth's favor, it would seem as if the Big Green completely dominated the game, but that was not so. An intensity lapse on the part of the home team led to a goal by Pennsylvania's Tina Cooper off a thread-the-needle pass from Kelly Stevens with 18 minutes and 23 seconds left in the second half.

That score cut a two goal Dartmouth lead to one. If not for the work of the defense and the rock-solid play of Owens on both sides of the field, the Big Green may have been in a lot of trouble.

"I thought that except for those 10 minutes we played really well," Eastman said. "The defense really kept it tight and close. We really communicated well and kept players in front."

Saturday's win boosted the Big Green to 2-1 on the season and 1-0 in the Ivy League after opening their season two weeks ago in Colorado. On Sept. 13 in Colorado Springs, Col., the Big Green won their season opening game against the Air Force. Kurowski scored two goals in a 2-0 victory. Christina Hallenbeck '97 assisted on Kurowski's first goal by sending a crossing pass in from her right wing. Bourdon recorded five saves as she shut out the Falcons in her first collegiate game.

Two days later the Big Green faced a tough team and a hot goalie when they squared off against the Colorado College Tigers. Though the Big Green outshot the Tigers 25-7, they were not able to pierce the armor of sophomore goalie Robyn Bilski. The game remained scoreless for 62 minutes until the Tigers took advantage of a Dartmouth miscue on a corner kick to make it 1-0. Dartmouth's Melissa Roth '00 led the Big Green attack with four shots on goal.

Next up for the Big Green is a home match with the University of New Hampshire today at 4:00 p.m. at Chase Fields.