Dartmouth downs UNH

As the rain began to fall yesterday afternoon at Chase Field, the women's soccer team would do anything but the same as they held strong to defeat the University of New Hampshire 2-1.

In a game completely dominated by the Big Green, UNH surprisingly remained on top on the scoreboard well into the second half. Dartmouth outshot the Wildcats 33-3 but was unable to convert until 15:30 remaining in the game when Melissa McBean '97 blasted a shot from the right-hand corner of the box blowing the ball by UNH keeper Lorien Snellings.

McBean's score came from an assist from Megan Owens '96 and tied the game at one.

McBean continued her scoring streak a mere 50 seconds later, as she headed in a pass from co-Captain Kate Andrews '96.

"I think that we are playing well," co-Captain Holly Thomas '97 said. "It was a good win because we held on even though it was tough to get that first goal. We came through with the win."

Jenna Kurowski '97, who had several shots on the day, was instrumental in leading the Big Green offense. She was recently named Ivy League Player of the Week for her two goals in each of Dartmouth's wins last week.

In the first half, UNH struck first when UNH's Kimberly Boyle beat the Big Green defenders and forced keeper Annie Eckstein '98 out of the goal. She went on to tap the ball in a wide open goal for a 1-0 lead.

Dartmouth had several opportunities to tie the game before the half, but the Big Green were denied as many shots sailed just over the goal. Snellings also had 17 saves on the day as she was kept busy.

The win boosted the Big Green to 3-1 on the season (1-0 Ivy), while the Wildcats dropped to 3-4-1.

The Dartmouth women travel to Princeton this weekend to take on the Tigers.