Big Green runners look to repeat

The best word to describe the Dartmouth men's and women's cross country teams for the past few years is dominant. For two years straight, the Big Green ruled the East as both teams have brought back to Hanover back-to-back Heptagonal titles.

Both the men and women proved they will once again be the teams to beat early this season at the Dartmouth Invitational on Sept. 14, as they swept the invite in convincing manner. Last weekend in Boston, the women again won, while the men came in second.

Women Return Solid Core

For the Big Green women, expectations are high. Having returned six of their top seven runners from last year, the Big Green, who are ranked ninth in the nation, are looking to tack up number three on the Heptagonal title board.

Co-Captains Kristin Manwaring '96 and Maribel Sanchez '96 will lead the solid core of veterans. Both were All-Ivy selections last year as well as All-Americans.

"I think this year we actually have a stronger pack," Crenshaw said." We've all been working really well together."

Last weekend at the Boston Cross Country Festival, Manwaring took the individual crown running the five-kilometer course in 17:24. Sanchez followed in third in 17:43. These two runners placed first and second respectively earlier in the season at the Dartmouth Invitational and appear to be picking up exactly where they left off last season.

Juniors Jenna Rodgers and Deirdre Milligan will closely follow the lead of their elders. Both have already posted good times coming in third and fourth receptively in the Dartmouth Invitational. In Boston the two placed eight and 12th respectively.

With these strong front runners, depth will not be a problem for the Big Green. In fact, at the Dartmouth Invitational, the Big Green placed seven runners in the top ten. Overall in Boston, the women dominated in scoring placing first with 24 points -- defeating club team Boston Running Club by 24 points.

"The meet was pretty low key, but it was good to go to Boston and run that course so we could get used to it."

Later in the season, the women will run that same course in the New England Championships and ECAC National Qualifier.

After a good rookie season last year, Crenshaw will look to move up in '96 to fill in some of the gaps, and the incoming freshman class is also looking promising.

"We feel they've been doing a great job," Crenshaw said. "We're hoping they can come along and really add to the team effort. I think we've been running really well and things have been shaping up great."

Men Look To Overcome Youth

While the Big Green men have been shooting out great performances of their own, Dartmouth will be looking to gain some needed experience early in this short season.

Co-captains Aaron Schumacher '98 and Don Conrad '99 will lead the young Big Green squad which will be looking to make its fourth straight NCAA Championship appearance.

"I feel we're in a great position to win the Hepts again," Conrad said. "I think we have a solid group of guys. There are no real standouts. I think this is the closest group of runners we've had in awhile."

At the Dartmouth Invitational, Conrad finished fourth in 25:51, with Schumacher closely at his heels finishing fifth in 25:56. Last weekend in Boston both runners placed ninth and 16th respectively.

Still, the times thus far are not reflective of the times the Big Green men hope to post toward the end of the season. Conrad said the team has been training very hard for the past few weeks to get in good shape but will cut back on daily mileage so their bodies will be ready to run fast times.

"I think we are running well, but by the end of the season I think our times will drop by as much as 45 seconds," Conrad said. "These first meets are a matter of getting into shape, and then we will taper off in our training so everyone will speed up and come together when it is important."

Conrad and Schumacher will be joined by sophomore Bill Tsiaras who has been running in the top three. Several freshmen will be fighting for positions on the squad. In Boston, Ryan Padilla and Geoff Nickerson closed out Dartmouth's top five running 25:34 and 25:41 respectively.

"The younger guys have really been running well," Conrad said. "They are stepping up and running like they are seniors. I think they have the right mindset to help out."