Big Green fall to BC

The Dartmouth field hockey team suffered a disappointing 2-1 loss in overtime to Boston College last night in Boston.

After a scoreless first half dominated by B.C., the Eagles struck first, as Gabby Bieg connected from a Michelle LaBonge pass from a penalty corner with 22:10 left in the game. The goal moved B.C. ahead 1-0.

Kelly Hannigan '97 kept the Big Green alive, however. With 5:54 left, Hannigan took an assist from Emily Loudon '99 and converted on a scramble in front of the goal.

Hannigan's shot on goal was only one of five total shots for the Big Green, who were outshot by the B.C. 35-5. The Eagle's goalkeeper Sarah Egnaczyk was forced to make only two saves on the night.

But on the other end, Dartmouth's goalie Kendra Kosko '99 was extremely busy. She tallied in 20 saves -- the most saves in a game since Lauren Demski '96 stopped 36 shots on Sept. 16 at Connecticut.

Unfortunately, Kosko was unable to keep out the final B.C. shot as the Eagles' Nicole Statuta beat the Dartmouth keeper in a footrace for the goal with 2:08 remaining in overtime. The Statuta goal sent the Big Green home with a disappointing 2-1 loss.

Dartmouth, now 3-2 (1-0 Ivy), will next travel to Princeton on Saturday to take on the always tough, Ivy-rival Tigers.