N. H. scrapes out win in Shriners' game

Dartmouth's own Memorial Field played host to one of the oldest sports traditions in the Upper Valley on Saturday, as the best high school football players from New Hampshire and Vermont lined up in the 43rd annual Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl.

And in front of a near-capacity crowd of cheering fans on Dartmouth football's home field, the All-Stars didn't disappoint.

Averting a major upset, New Hampshire squeaked by with a touchdown with just over four minutes to go to eek out a 13-7 win over the Vermont all-stars.

Vermont had a chance to tie the game, but a fumble with two minutes to go inside the New Hampshire five-yard line ended the Green Mountain State's upset bid.

New Hampshire, winner of the Shrine Bowl for the past eight straight years, upped their overall record to 30 wins, 11 losses and two ties against their neighbors across the Connecticut River.

New Hampshire's game-winning tally came from the likes of Russell Massahos, a running back from Pinkerton High School, who galloped 72 yards past diving Vermonters to ice the win.

For the last 40 years, Dartmouth has played host to the Shrine Bowl, a charity event staged by the Shriners Rotary Club, which raises money for children's hospitals across North America.