Bengals acquire Jay Fiedler '94

One of the best quarterbacks in the history of the Ivy League, Dartmouth's own Jay Fiedler '94 was acquired off NFL waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals yesterday.

The move came just three days after the Philadelphia Eagles released the 24 year old quarterback when he requested permission to leave the team.

The strong-armed former Dartmouth captain had asked for his release from the Eagles organization after he failed to get any playing time in the team's intra-squad scrimmage on Sunday.

Fiedler rewrote the Big Green record book in his four years at Dartmouth, setting new marks in attempts (813), completions (456), yards gained (6,684) and touchdowns (58), while also bringing home two Ivy titles.

In his first two seasons in the NFL, Fiedler occupied the number three quarterback slot for the Philadelphia Eagles.

After the Eagles drafted Ohio State quarterback Bobby Hoying in the third round this season however, Fiedler's chances at a third year in the Eagles organization seemed slim.

Fiedler will not be without Big Green influence in his new job at Cincinnati. The Bengals are led by a Dartmouth graduate and former Big Green receiver, Head Coach David Shula '81, who is also the son of former Miami Dolphins long-time Head Coach Don Shula.

Fiedler's new boss, Cincinnati's offensive coordinator and assistant coach Bruce Coslet, has ties to Dartmouth as well. Coslet is father to current Dartmouth football offensive lineman J.J. Coslet '97.