Amarna to host talent show

The true talent of the Class of 1998 will be revealed when Amarna presents the first Sophomore Summer Talent Show at 8 p.m. tonight at Collis Common Ground.

"We want to see Collis Common Ground packed," organizer and Amarna member Adrienne Fournier '98 said. "We want standing room only."

A total of 10 acts are planned for the event, Fournier said. Four of those acts are Amarna acts.

"We will have some people from the Femme Fatale and some people doing a musical theater act," she said.

"The future director of the Rockapellas will be leading in the Amarna History Song. Sheba will also be performing their last show of the summer," she said.

Rockapellas and Femme Fatale are a capella groups on campus, and Sheba is a dance troupe.

The acts range from dancing and singing to musical theater and a capella, Fournier said.

"I am very impressed with the diversity of acts," she said. "It is going to be really fun because of the diversity. It is great how people have gotten into the idea of having a talent show."

The audience will vote among the six non-Amarna acts at the close of the evening.

"We want it to be an all-encompassing thing," Fournier said. "It is fun for everyone and they are helping a great cause at the same time."

The grand prize for the best performer or performers is a night at the Nugget -- the winner will receive 20 tickets to the Nugget theater.

The other two prizes include two gift certificates to Hanover Hot Tubs or a gift certificate from Lou's Bakery.

There will be other prizes offered as well.

"The 98th person to go through the door will get a certificate to Eastman's Pharmacy," Fournier said.

"There are other silly things along that line. It is fun stuff to do between acts," she said.

Fournier said she hopes these surprises will encourage people to come.

"It is fun -- it tops off the night," she said. "We really thought hard about the prizes for the talent show. We hoped it would be appropriate for single act or group act or an act representing a Greek house."

"The Amarna members have been really supportive," Fournier said. "It was a team effort from all sides."

The price of admission is $3 at the door.

Proceeds from the event will go to the Lebanon In Service For Each Neighbor Center's Camp Placement Program. The Camp Placement Program sends Upper Valley children living below the 200 percent poverty level to camp for free.

The L.I.S.F.E.N. Center is a self-help community center. It runs many different programs designed to aid members of the Upper Valley with disabilities, financial troubles or other difficulties.

The program attempts to match the children of poorer families with a good match for a camp, assist in applications and help apply for grants and scholarships for the children to attend the camp.

They provide suitcases, and vouchers covering items ranging from food to gas money.

Thirteen student groups from campus to Greek organizations are cosponsoring the event, Fournier said.