Pranks may go too far

This past weekend unknown assailants broke into Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority's house then damaged property and vandalized the house in a most horrific fashion. This crime is worthy of the deepest condemnation.

The particulars involved with the crime -- breaking and entering, destroying property and defecating in the kitchen -- have disturbed and angered most members of the community.

Certain pranks may be harmless, but what happened at KKG points at a more malevolent trend in Dartmouth's Greek system.

This summer, there seems to be more "pranks" than usual, such as harassing rival house members, drunken attempts to break into houses or scrawling graffiti on basement walls.

Minor slights, such as pilfering a pong table or toilet-papering a lawn, are innocuous enough, but the more heinous acts of unlawful entry and destruction of private property are unacceptable.

It is necessary to open pathways of communication and start talking about the situation in order to prevent the occurrence of more incidents like what happened to KKG.

An ideal opportunity to initiate such a discourse would be to attend tonight's open forum about Dartmouth's social options, which will be held in the Collis Common Ground at 8:30 p.m. As evidenced by this weekend's incident, there is much talking that needs to be done.