Incident Saturday at Kappa Kappa Gamma Was Disturbing

When people think of Dartmouth College they picture a small, closely-knit community where students have no need to lock their doors. That is why the incident that occurred at Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority on Saturday morning was so disturbing to those who live here, as well as to those who don't. Not only was property destroyed, but more importantly, residents' privacy and sense of security were violated. Once lost, such feelings are difficult to regain.

The extent of the destruction shocked us when we returned from our sister retreat, but it disheartened us as well. We have been asked to write this letter on the behalf of all Kappa sisters.

Kappa is not just a house but a home to all sisters. We sit around the kitchen table discussing everything from the day's adventures at the rope swing to personal dilemmas. You can always find someone studying in the library. The pride we take in our house extends to the outside as well, where sisters spend time tending the garden.

It is disturbing that "the best and the brightest" are capable of engaging in this lack of respect and premeditated, malicious destruction.

We are bewildered as to how young people who have been given the opportunity to receive a top-rate education in an intimate, serene setting could jeopardize the Dartmouth feeling of community with such monstrous behavior. Silly pranks can be forgiven, but the incident at Kappa is unprecedented and beyond comical.

Kappa is not the only house that has been violated recently. We find it ironic that this rash of repulsive incidents has occurred during Sophomore Summer, a time heralded for growing close as a class.

Only a quarter of the student body is present on campus -- the quarter most of us know best. Whose friends are these?