Honors awarded to outstanding athletes

After an outstanding senior season, women's track co-Captain Kristin Manwaring '96 was awarded the Kenneth Archibald Prize.

The prize, given to the best all-around senior athlete who demonstrates high morals and scholarship, was awarded to a track athlete for the second year in a row.

Over the course of the year, Manwaring displayed her talent, outdoing herself at each subsequent meet.

In the fall she earned runner-up at the Heptagonal cross country meet. The following term, she topped her previous finish, snagging first at Heps. She also took fourth in the mile at the NCAA indoor meet with a school record time of 4:41.89. This finish was the highest for a Dartmouth woman ever.

This spring Manwaring finished up her Dartmouth career in style, winning both the 1,500 and 3,000 meters at the outdoor Heps. She was named the outstanding female performer at that meet.

Most recently, Manwaring won the 1,500 meters at the ECAC championships, setting another school record.

Manwaring has been given Academic All-Ivy honors twice.

Other awards at the May 28 awards ceremony went to Maribel Sanchez '96, Adam Nelson '97, Sea Lonergan '97, Andrea Hill '97 and Jen Stamp '96.

As the women's track co-captain, Sanchez was given the Class of 1976 Award, given to the outstanding female athlete. As well as being named All-American four times in her years at Dartmouth, Sanchez won the cross country Heps in the fall. She also won the 3,000 and 5,000 meters in the winter Heps and the 5,000 at the spring Heps.

The male counterpart of this award, the Alfred E. Watson Trophy, went to Nelson. The men's coaches voted on Nelson for his performances in both football and track. Nelson has lettered three times in football as a defensive tackle and on special teams and won the shot put at Heps five times. Nelson also has reset his own school record twice this past spring.

Lonergan, next season's men's basketball captain, received two awards, the Timothy Wright Ellis Award for spirit and ambition as well as participation in extracurricular activities and the Class of 1948 Scholar-Athlete Award for men.

As the fourth junior ever to surpass the 1,000-point mark at Dartmouth and the ninth all-time high-scorer with 1,208 points, Lonergan became the first Ivy League junior and the sixth Ivy Leaguer ever to be named to the GTE Academic All-America first team.

Swimmer Hill won the Class of 1948 Award for women. Hill was the first Dartmouth woman to win Easterns this past winter in the 200 breaststroke. She also holds two school records.

Finally, women's basketball player Stamp took the Agnes B. Kurtz Award for her excellence in her sport as well as dedication to women's sports overall. After leading her team in four categories (scoring, rebounding, steals and blocked shots), Stamp was a District 1 GTE Academic All-American and a first team All-Ivy pick.