Students win acclaim at annual arts awards ceremony

The Arts at Dartmouth Awards Ceremony took place yesterday afternoon in Spaulding Auditorium to much fanfare. Students and professors appeared freshly-dressed and excited for the annual ceremony to recognize contributions to the arts in the past year.

The College's drama, film studies, music and studio art departments and the Hopkins Center presented numerous awards to many talented and outstanding students.

Steve Reich, one of the world's foremost composers and guest of honor, spoke near the end of the program. He encouraged students to continue with their artistic gifts which he said can be used in many different ways in their lives.

When asked how artists can find their voice in this postmodern era, Reich had no immediate reply, but stressed that original ideas are not at a complete end and that it is always a struggle to keep in tune with what is out there.

Katherine Domingo '96 received the Sudler Prize in the Arts, given to a student in recognition of outstanding excellence in the performing arts.

Drama Department Chair Mara Sabinson presented awards to Kyle Ancowitz '98, Colin Bills '98, Stephanie Blake '96, Rebecca Gorman '96 and Patricia Herrera '96.

Blake, Gorman and Karen Koontz '96 were recognized for the best plays submitted to the Eleanor Frost Playwriting Competition.

Film Studies Department Chair Al LaValley jovially handed out awards to Mobina Hashmi '96 and April Whitescarver '96.

Brightly dressed in a dashing white outfit, Music Department Chair Jon Appleton presented the Eugene Rotiman 1943 Memorial Award to John Hiler '96 and Kathryn LaForgia '97, and the Macdonald-Smith Prize to Natalyn Nails '96. Hiler also won the Gerald Tracy Memorial Scholarship Prize for Piano.

Studio Art Department Chair Esme Thompson gave several awards to senior artists whose works are currently on display at the Jaffe-Friede Galleries and Upper Jewett Corridor.

Brice Brown '95 and Katherine Shortridge '96 won the Perspectives on Design Award. Joanna Hubbard '95, Devyani Sharma '96 and Natalia Veniard '96 received the Adelbert Ames Fine Arts Award, Maribel Bastian '96, Shannon Giles '96 and Jessica Power '96 won the Robert Read Prize, and Chris George '96 and Alexander Panov '96 received the Wolfenden Fine Arts Prize.

Director of the Glee Club Louis Burkot presented awards for the Hopkins Center Ensembles to Domingo, LaForgia, Erik Saunders '99, Emily Zarins '98, Clancy Broxton '99, Bridget Canniff '96, Jessica Schefter '98 and Sharon Karlsberg '96.

The final awards were presented by the Hopkins Center Director Lewis Crickard and President of the Friends of Hopkins Center and Hood Museum of Art Frederica Lawrence.

Jesse Kearney '97 and Peter Tucker '97 won the Lazarus Family Musical Theatre Program Fund.

The following students were recipients of several Hopkins Center awards: Kearney, Matthew Carlson '96, Christopher Miller '97, Domingo, William Guerin '96, Cristina Kuechmann '97 and Peter Tucker '97.

Students also won Marcus Heiman-Martin R. Rosenthal '56 Achievement Awards in the Creative Arts for their work in various fields: Soraya O'Brian '96 (dance), Jay Hanlon '97 (drama), Kazu Munakata '96 (ensembles), J. Diego Prange '96 (film studies), Domingo (music), Shervyn Von Hoerl '96 (student workshops) and Brown (studio art).