Cranberries make introspective CD

It's hard to distinguish between melancholy and introspection. The Cranberries tread the line between the two, often crossing into both sides.

"To the Faithful Departed," The Cranberries' newest release, captures both introspection and melancholy. And it confirms that the Cranberries are capable of finding an adequate balance.

Dolores O'Riordan, the woman behind the yelping and wailing, dedicates this album "to all those who have gone before us. Nobody knows where these people are, but I know we would like to believe it is a better place."

There are references in some songs to a few of the "faithful departed," namely John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, John F. Kennedy and the people of Sarajevo.

"To the Faithful Departed" is a deeply introspective compilation about looking back and remembering --and recognizing the suffering, especially that of children.

In typical Cranberries fashion, the tunes and instrumentation are highly evocative, complementing the theme of the album.

Don't judge the album by the first track, though. There is a lot of creativity in this collection of tracks, although the wrenching electric guitar on "Hollywood" makes the song all too reminiscent of "Zombie" on their second album, "No Need to Argue."

One also may want to avoid the next four tracks -- especially "When You're Gone" and "War Child." While the composition of these two tracks is lovely, especially the horns and violin of "War Child," the words attempt to cajole its listeners into slitting their wrists.

"I miss you when you're gone. That is what I do. It's hard to carry on," an anguished O'Riordan wails repeatedly in "When You're Gone."

The sun comes out during tracks six and seven. "Forever Yellow Skies" provides a needed boost with its quick tempo and catchy sounds.

In track seven, "The Rebels," O'Riordan looks back when she was 16 years old wearing Doc Martens, drinking vintage cider, and painting her toenails black and letting her hair grow.

O'Riordan's voice becomes more mellifluous in "I'm Still Remembering," a pleasant, introspective tune about a woman remembering her painful life before she was married and is now asking for her husband's affection though he is gone.

"What if Kurt Cobain willed it would his presence still remain. Remember J.F.K. ever saintly in a way. Where are you now?" she asks.

Shake off your melancholy and continue on to track 11, "Will You Remember." This track is a gem, as the Cranberries experiment with a different sound which catches the ear and takes it to the sounds of a carnival.

The same is true for "Joe," in which the mandolin ringing in the background takes the listener to a different place.

While it is a laudable tribute to the violence and war in the Slavic republics, the final track "Bosnia" is worth listening to only once. It is perhaps a catharsis for the Cranberries, and the track seems to gush with melancholy.

In "Bosnia," O'Riordan presents the listener with her "vision." "More things will change if we really wanted them to," she urges.

The beauty of "To the Faithful Departed" is that the songs tell a story, each united by a common theme.

However, to choose death as an underlying theme is likely to turn away many listeners.

In the end of her written tribute, O'Riordan informs, "To the faithful departed and those let behind there is a light that never dies."

"To the Faithful Departed" is the most mature of their three albums so far, with fewer superficial lyrics and many more experimenting with sounds and instrumentation than the first.

And there are some gems in this album; but to sing about suffering and remembering the "departed" is likely only to beckon the hand to reach for the CD rack in search of something a bit more upbeat.