New Sorority Favored over an Overhaul of Rush System

To the Editor:

Last Thursday night the Panhellenic Council met for the first time this term to discuss its goals for the upcoming year. Although a lot of work was done last term on creating a new sorority rush system, the Council decided that it would be more beneficial to the sorority system and the entire campus to focus its efforts on creating a new sorority instead of instituting an entirely new rush process.

The Council decided not to create a new rush system because it did not want to institute two major changes in the sorority system simultaneously, and we recognize that significant changes in the rush process will need to take place in the future.

The decision to create a new sorority was based upon an on-going discussion of the need for more social options for women and the concerns raised over the increasing sizes of the sororities at Dartmouth. Pledge classes are over-crowded: it is difficult to get to know 40 women in a pledge class, not to mention the 70 or so other women in the house.

This term, the Panhellenic Council will be holding an information session for '99 women interested in forming a new sorority on campus. If created, the new sorority will have complete support from the Panhellenic Council and the existing sororities.

The combined efforts of last term to create a new rush system are not wasted. The campus-wide concerns with sorority rush have been addressed and the problems have been defined, and the Panhellenic Council will continue to make changes to try to improve on the existing rush system.