DRA to petition for own affinity housing

Political Queers, the political arm of the Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance, is writing a proposal to obtain affinity housing as early as next fall for gay, lesbian and bisexual students and their supporters.

While the group plans to submit a proposal today, Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco said it takes a lot of time to refine a housing proposal and the deadline is soon.

BreeAnne Clowdus '97, one of the group's founders, said Political Queers' housing proposal, which the group is still working on, was created mainly by herself and Melanie Popper '99.

The proposal calls for "reallocation of already existing residential space for gay, lesbian, bisexual and questioning students as well as straight, supporting students," Clowdus said.

Clowdus said the group is requesting a floor of a residence hall that is coed by room with eight to 10 beds.

Political Queers is not seeking any particular residence hall, she said.

"We have a list of 11 people very interested" in living in gay affinity housing, Clowdus said. "We don't want the problem of not being able to fill all the beds, so we are looking for about eight."

Clowdus said she and others met with Turco earlier this week.

Turco said all proposals for affinity housing must mention the submitter's "goals and objectives as well as [their] direct affiliation with the academic mission of the College."

Clowdus said the proposal's academic aim is "to pursue queer studies, a greater sense of community and greater communication for all."

"We are not asking for a safety zone," Clowdus said. "That is not our primary desire."

Political Queers hopes to have affinity housing "if not for this fall, then for '97 fall," Clowdus said.

Turco said she anticipates receiving a housing proposal from Political Queers soon, but noted "we are already at the housing deadline. It is April."

Turco said it generally takes time to refine affinity housing proposals, and affinity housing plans should be made well in advance so students can be informed of their options.

For students to have advanced notice of their housing options for the upcoming year, all affinity housing should be included in the literature released by the Office of Residential Life before housing application deadlines, she said.

Turco said while she understands Political Queers is looking for housing for next year, she also knows they are serious enough about the proposal to pursue it for fall of 1997 if the proposal is not acted upon this year.

Clowdus said she has received "an amazing amount of faculty support," including "heartfelt, articulate blitzes" supporting her goal.

Clowdus said that while the DRA is more of a support group, members "thought there was a need for a political group" and so formed Political Queers.

Clowdus said Political Queers is working on two main goals right now, visibility and the housing initiative. She said the group could also "retaliate if homophobic incidents occurred," she said.