Why Have Rush At All?

Timing is everything. Over the past couple of weeks the campus has been quite justifiably obsessed over issues of race. It is the kind of issue that when raised, deserves our undivided attention.

Meanwhile, two experienced leaders from the Sorority system proposed a plan to radically reform the way in which women join sororities. It's not the kind of issue that sparks rallies or demonstrations yet is far more pressing than the current lack of discussion would indicate. I challenge the students of Dartmouth to stretch their pathetically short memories and revisit an issue that is far too important to be ignored.

On these very pages two senior women, Dani Brune and Susie Ettinger, suggested that the current process of sorority rush should be replaced with a random lottery, placing an equal number of women into each house.

The first thing to notice is that these women most assuredly know what they are talking about. Both have been strong leaders in the system; between the two of them they have impressive records of action on both the individual house level and on the broader, Panhellenic level. In addition, I know both to be concerned and thinking individuals.

So as wacky as a random lottery might sound, we cannot dismiss it as the crazy dream of two women who don't know what they are talking about. Instead, we must recognize that things must be pretty screwed up in the first place if two such leaders think radical reform necessary.

In fact, the proposal includes an insightful analysis of just what is going wrong. It can be stated rather simply: sororities are supposed to support women, to make them stronger individuals and to encourage women in their own personal endeavors. Meanwhile the rush system is the most obvious and systematic way in which women at this college find themselves degraded and their self-esteem damaged.

Any attempt to justify such cruelty would certainly have to demonstrate that rush (while flawed) is necessary to produce the strong and supportive houses that thrive on this campus.

It is on this point that Brune and Ettinger's proposal makes its most insightful observation. Despite the tremendous surface show of parties, conversations, cocktail dresses and emergency weight-loss, the current system is already completely random.

Each sorority has a few high-profile members who embody the good and bad aspects of the house stereotype. But the stereotypes quickly break down when we examine the rank and file membership. Does every member of Sigma Delta identify herself as a "feminist"? Hardly. Is every Kappa a bitch? Not quite.

While few women (and even less men) ever think on this issue long enough to come to such concrete conclusions, the most cursory survey reveals that sorority sisters are in near unanimous agreement that "Rush sucks."

So three cheers to Dani and Susie! It is so refreshing to see the members of the Greek System engaged in genuine introspection rather than the usual defensive, reactive and generally conservative mode of operation.

All the same, the analysis of Brune and Ettinger comes up short. In examining the rush process they ask, "Is this the best way to conduct rush?" Meanwhile, the real question should be, "Why do we have rush at all?"

Such an examination need start with only one assumption -- the sorority system should do its best to serve the women of Dartmouth. If we really believe this premise we will see that rush, no matter how it operates, systematically ranks the needs of individual houses over the needs of individual women.

Let me modestly suggest a solution even more radical, more off the wall than a random lottery -- no rush. Simply allow women to join houses up to a limit of say 110 members. The laws of supply and demand will drive houses to compete for members in a positive manner. Sororities that really do support women will thrive. Houses that do not will either change or be replaced.

Does anybody out there care enough to look at these issues and suggestions? I'm tempted to get drunk and write "CHICKS" on women's doors. Maybe then we could get Jim Rich to organize a nice town meeting on the subject.