Peter Christian's changes name

Peter Christian's Tavern in downtown Hanover changed its name to Old Pete's Tavern, but the restaurant's owner said the restaurant will remain virtually the same.

Besides changing its name, the tavern also went through some minor renovations during Jan. 30 and 31, said Murray Washburn, owner of what is now Old Pete's Tavern.

Old Pete's Tavern staff member, Katie Sundquist, said, "We closed Monday night as P.C. and opened Thursday as Old Pete's Tavern."

Washburn said Hanover's Old Pete's is not under new management and will be almost the same as before the alterations.

Washburn said he changed the name so he could sell another Peter Christian's in New London. Both taverns had the same name, but when he chose to sell one, he had to change the name of the branch he kept because the buyers of the New London's branch bought the rights to the name "Peter Christian's."

"Peter Christian's was named for my son. I wanted to choose a new name that was familiar but couldn't choose one that had Peter or Christian or anything like P.C.," Washburn said. "Old Pete's Tavern is a play on the old name."

But the new owners of the New London restaurant come from the Peter Christian's family.

"The new owners of Peter Christian's Tavern are former employees Russ Sarles and Tom Brown," Washburn said. "It was a very friendly deal. They valued the name, Peter Christian, and everything with it. They won't be changing it too much, except with their younger energy."

"We did make some changes we couldn't make under the old formula," he said. "We were freed up to try different specials. However, we are not radically different."

"We have the same staff," he added. "We are very energized about this. We have the same Dartmouth grads. It's running very well."

Sundquist, described the establishment as "brighter."

"They did a lot of work and totally renovated the place," she said. "They really did a bit of work brightening up the place. They also tightened up the menu. They have the same kinds of sandwiches and some new specials. They have lots of new desserts."

"The decor really changed," she said. "It's brighter and it sets more of a mood. The lights are lower but there are candles out all the time now. It's a nice atmosphere."

"Everyone is pretty excited about it, as employees go," she added.

Washburn explained that he initially put both Peter Christian's Taverns on the market. "I was ready to try something else after 20 years," he said.

Sarles and Brown only wanted to buy one of the taverns, so Washburn said he decided to keep the Hanover branch and take it off the market.