Big Green beat Harvard

Last night against Harvard, the men's volleyball team sprang back after losing the first game, winning three straight games and completing a season sweep of the rival Crimson.

At first, the Big Green looked as if they were unready to play, just as they were Saturday against Plymouth State. Dartmouth allowed visiting Harvard to jump out to a commanding 14-6 lead in the first game before showing any real signs of life.

Battling off several successive Harvard game points, Dartmouth rallied to tie and go ahead before dropping the opening game 16-17.

"They came out and played tough first game and you could tell they didn't want to lose again," co-Captain Jeremy Longinotti '96 said referring to Dartmouth's 3-0 win at Harvard earlier this season. "From there, even though we had lost, we knew we were in control. At their best, they could only beat us 17-16."

In the second game Dartmouth jumped out to a commanding 6-0 lead, and never looked back en route to a 15-6 win.

"We proved that we wanted it more," setter Rick Fasani '96 said. "We came out and beat them convincingly. It wasn't even close."

Dartmouth rode their momentum into the third game coming out strong yet again before the Crimson were able to react. Dartmouth faltered at several game points before they finally put the game away 15-13.

The fourth game was just like the previous two. Dartmouth commandingly dominated the flustered Crimson winning the game, and the match, 15-6. The win brings the Big Green's record to an impressive 11-1 on the season.

Throughout the match both teams played high caliber volleyball, but the main difference was Dartmouth's success at playing excellent defensive volleyball. Most of Harvard's hits that did find their way through the Big Green's blocks were dug up by Dartmouth's back row.

"We did the little things better than they did, and that's what beat them," Longinotti said. "It's an unbelievable win, probably the first time Dartmouth has ever swept Harvard, especially so convincingly."

The Big Green return to the court tonight against Boston College at 8:00 p.m. Saturday, they also host Vermont and Maine.

"The last two games have been big wins, and we've had a crowd at both," Fasani said. "That makes a huge difference."