Run DMC officially cancels

The Programming Board announced Run DMC, a staple rap and hip-hop group from New York City, has officially cancelled their scheduled Feb. 2 concert at Webster Hall. The group cited demands by their new record label that they spend the winter developing new material as the reason for the change.

The band, represented by Famous Artists Agency in New York, informed the College's Boston-based agent in Pretty Polly Productions of the cancellation Jan. 17.

Since last week, news of the change circulated around campus, waiting for confirmation.

"I'm disappointed," Associate Director of Student Activities Linda Kennedy said. She said it is often difficult to book acts to come up for Winter term.

She added the Programming Board considered bringing up another artist, KRS1, to perform on Feb. 16, but decided against it because it would have taken place on the same weekend as the much-anticipated Dave Matthews concert on Feb. 18.

Kennedy said she does not expect Run DMC will play Spring term.

More than 500 tickets had already been sold prior to the cancellation. The show would have been the Programming Board's first large-scale concert for Winter term.

Ruth Morgan '96, the co-chair of the Programming Board, said in a press release, "I think a lot of people were looking forward to the concert. It's unfortunate that [Run DMC] decided not to honor their commitment to Dartmouth."

The group achieved their fame during the early 1980's with the advent of rap music to mainstream culture. Music listeners recall their smash hits such as "Walk This Way."

Ticketholders can begin receiving cash refunds at the Collis Center information desk today. Refunds will be offered beginning 10:00 a.m. this morning and until Feb. 5.