Focus should be on reactions to 'Hell Night' video

Like the slew of other Dartmouth students that already have written letters to the editor. I too, was present at the "Hell Night" video incident. As a '99, I came in with absolutely no opinions about the Greek system.

Now that the event has passed, my thoughts are not concerned with the tapes or the Greek system so much as with the way people have reacted to the incident. After Luxon's confrontation with the audience, I remember my initial reaction to be, "Wow! That was better than the tape."

I expected people to disagree about the tapes. After all, none of us were actually there, and we can only speculate as to what was going on. But how do we explain the differing opinions as to the Hell Night incident itself? That was an event that we were all present at. Shouldn't we have all seen it the same way?

After reading the various letters to the The Dartmouth, I have seen viewpoints skewed by biases in all directions. If there is this great a conflict about an event we all participated in, shouldn't we have anticipated such a conflict regarding the tapes and their contents?

Luxon asked us to view the tapes with the eye of an anthropologist. I, for one, think we would all learn a lot more if we used that anthropologist's eye to focus on our behavior and reactions to the "Hell Night" video incident, as opposed to the Hell Night tapes themselves.