Fall Fling packs Spaulding Auditorium

The Fall Fling was one of three acapella concerts of the weekend; Friday night the Dodecaphonics hosted a concert in Collis, which featured an impressive debut from the new all-female group Femme Fatale, and the evening culminated with an uproarious performance by The House Jacks, a California-based group already signed by Warner Brothers record company.

In addition, Spontaneous Combustion, a group of five alums, performed late Saturday night in the Top of the Hop.

The Decibelles hosted this year's Fall Fling, which took place Saturday night in Spaulding Auditorium. When the lights dimmed, the compere welcomed the audience to what he termed "stately Spaulding Auditorium." The first group to perform were the Dartmouth Aires. They sang to a packed house: the concert was sold out by Saturday afternoon, making it the most popular acapella venue of the Homecoming Weekend.

The Aires sang a total of seven songs, interspersed with humorous skits. Notable lines included a reference to the Alma Mater: "what is that song again -- something about your mother?" and the infamous chapstick skit, which has been known to shock many an audience.

The most engaging numbers were undoubtedly the slower numbers. "Kiss from a Rose" by Director Allen King '96, drew much applause, as did "Just my imagination" and "Die without you". Other popular songs were "Runaround Sue" and "Whisper your name."

The Aires were followed by the all-women Decibelles who began with their signature song "Broken Glass," performed by Camille Masini '97. The Decibelles performed skits which drew screams of approval from the audience. The Bartender skit, in which a quest for a drink turned into a musical, was most popular. It featured Decibelles flinging themselves across the stage in mimicry of Broadway musicals. Notable numbers were the final piece, "Sweet Home Alabama," by Senior Sarah Lugaric, "Hazy Shade of Winter", a group song, as well as "Take it to the Limit", a cover of the popular Eagles song.

Undoubtedly the most populate act of the evening were the Tufts Beezlebubs, who performed the final segment of the evening. The lively all-male group, infamous at Dartmouth because of their previous visits, began with the lively "Saturday night's gonna be alright."

This was followed by James Taylor's "Mexico". The Beezlebubs typically perform in two concentric circles, with one member coming forward for solos. Their singing style, coupled with humorous skits, made them an instant hit and converted the atmosphere in the auditorium to infectious and electric.

The two most popular numbers by the Beezlebubs were the slower ones, however: "Wicked Game" sung by Director Rob Kelley '96, drew sighs from most members of the audience, and all were enraptured by the redention of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."

Kelley also performed Prince's "Let's go crazy." Mike Kim'96 sang "Stoned" to much applause, as did Todd Ragaza, the group's Business Manager, who performed "Roll to me."

Notable skits were a spoof on Karate Kid with a Ralph Macchio lookalike in the lead; "Crosby, Stills, Nash and Chung"; and finally a poke at academia cleverly entitled "Moral Combat," which used the metaphor of the video game to prove its point. The group caused such a sensation that they performed an impromptu second encore to screaming requests: Paul Simon's "Cecilia." "Thank you" a lone woman shouted from the rear of the auditorium when they agreed to perform unprepared.

Ragaza mentioned that the Dartmouth concert was one of the "best and biggest" they have performed this year, and that the evening was "wonderful." Others from the groups commented that they had "so much fun," were "floating on cloud nine," one adding, in the post concert euphoria, "I love this gig!"

"It revolves around having a good time," Kim said, explaining the philosophy behind their electric performances. Ragaza added "we draw all the energy form the audience and spit it right back."

Fall Fling '95, with its mix of humor, good entertainment and outstanding Guest performers, was an excellent prelude to the revelries of Saturday night.