Counseling services available for those coping with recent suicides

To the Editor:

We want to express our deepest sympathy to the friends and family of Philip Deloria '96, who died on Saturday Oct. 14, 1995. The Native American community has gathered over the last four days at the Native American House to help Philip on his journey and to help those who remain behind. Our thoughts have been with you.

Words don't come easily at this time. We are all very saddened by Philip's death and the affects it has on the entire Dartmouth community. Many of us will think about our contacts with him and many of us will also think of other losses in our lives. Philip's death also brings to mind the other recent student deaths, Marcus Rice '94 and Sarah Devens '96. It is an overwhelming moment to have this many losses in such a short time. Yet we cannot escape wondering if there is something about Dartmouth that has contributed to these tragedies. Yes, all of us need to always be examining our community and making positive changes that promote a healthy and safe place to live, work and learn. Although this examination is part of the daily work we do in Counseling, we think that the three student deaths within the last four months lead us to further examine our community and resources. The Counseling Staff wants to be sure that we are doing everything that we can to prevent suicides on the one hand and to promote a healthy environment on the other hand. Among other things we will be holding a Community Forum at 7 p.m. on Oct., 30 in Rockefeller 1 to discuss suicide and the three recent student deaths. Yet we need to remember that there are no easy answers when we are dealing with people and their own unique lives.

We would encourage you to share your thoughts and feelings with others on and off campus. There are many people who are available to help you including counselors, the Office of Residential Life, Deans, faculty, chaplains and others. Please call on them. We are also available to meet with groups either at Dick Hall's House or elsewhere on campus. If you know of a friend who is struggling with depression or is talking about suicide, please encourage him/her to talk with us or call us yourself for advice.