Women's soccer drops home opener to UConn

After losing its first game last year to the University of Connecticut in a1-0 overtime thriller, the women's soccer team was out for revenge Sunday afternoon.Unfortunately, the Big Green fell inches short losing once again 1-0 to the number eleven nationally ranked Huskies.

The two teams were neck and neck throughout the first half, leaving the field at the midway mark tied scoreless.Just because there was no scoring did not mean there was no excitement though.

"I think it was a good soccer game for fans," Coach Steve Swanson said. "We both had many chances and that makes for an exciting game. Against a team as good as UConn though, you have to finish on the chances you do get, and we just didn't do that."

For the players, this year's game against UConn had notable differences.

"Usually it's been they were the better team, but this time I think we dominated the game," forward Jenna Kurowski '97 said. "It was definitely our game, and we should have won. We were the better team."

Defensively, the Big Green looked strong, despite the loss of Megan Owens '96 who will redshirt this season because of a knee injury from the end of last season. As a stopper last season, Owens was an integral part in the Big Green defense, and with her loss, adjustments had to be made.

"We've had some huge transformations this season," Swanson said. "We are playing a lot more flat in the back, and that is different for a lot of the players."

Against UConn though, the overall attack game of the Big Green appeared strong by outshooting the Huskies.

"I think we played a good all-around game," Kurowski said. "Even though we didn't score, we had a lot more shots then them. It was the best game we've ever played against UConn."

The Big Green defense held itself strong until with under 13 minutes to go in the game, a UConn attacker slipped by goal keeper Heidi Hachtel '96 to shoot in an easy goal.

"I think this was one of the most athletic UConn teams I've seen in awhile," Swanson said. "We both had so many chances though. I think if the game had ended in a draw that would have been more just."

The loss against UConn put the Big Green at 2-1 for the season.Dartmouth gained two early wins the weekend before at Hartford Tournament where the women defeated Michigan and Texas.

"I think we have improved each game since preseason," Swanson said. "The players deserve a lot of the credit. They are a tremendous group."

The Big Green were ranked 22 in last weeks national poll. Brown, ranked one slot ahead, was the only other Ivy League team to be ranked. The tight game against UConn proved to the women that rankings aren't always evident of ability.

"I think we realize how good we can be and that we can play with any team in the country," Kurowski said. "This game will give us confidence when we come against the top ten teams."

Dartmouth hopes to take the loss to UConn as a learning experience and will be anxious to reestablish itself this afternoon against New Hampshire. The Big Green will battle unranked UNH at 4:00 p.m. on Chase Field.

"It think it will be a big test mentally," Swanson said. "We had such a big game with a big crowd and lots of excitement against UConn. We have to create that same atmosphere."

With the tenacious group of women, rebounding shouldn't be too difficult for the Big Green though.

"We played well against UConn," Swanson said. "There are good things to draw from it, and we are anxious to come out and prove ourselves again."

Co-Captain Kate Andrews said, "We are all ready to play tomorrow. It would be nice to take the sting out of the UConn loss out on UNH."

The Big Green recognize that this early loss cannot hold them back since the soccer season is so short.

"We need to pick it up and get ready to go," Swanson said. "We want to keep the road upward and keep improving."

Even though the Big Green have consistently dominated UNH, the game will not be overlooked.

"We need to take every team seriously because everyone is going to be out to get us," Kurowski said. "We know we belong on the field with any of the top teams in the nation, but we shouldn't get the idea we are just going to walk through the other games."