DDS phases out canned drinks

Students hoping to grab a quick can of Snapple iced tea between classes now must trek to Topside convenience store to get it.

Dartmouth Dining Services pulled most canned beverages --including Snapple -- out of dining halls after a price increase this summer. The canned drinks have been replaced with more fountain drinks, like Aqua Health carbonated water.

There also are many other new fountain drinks in dining halls, with selections ranging from several fruit flavors of Lipton Ice Tea to Minute Maid's orange-guava-passion fruit juice.

Dartmouth Dining Services Director Peter Napolitano said beverage suppliers announced a price increase of canned beverages that took effect July 1.

The price increase came in the wake of a recent merger of the Quaker Co. and Snapple Beverage Corp. this summer, Napolitano said.

Napolitano said the new bevy of beverages represents more variety for students and is the "best selection ever."

Napolitano said he hopes DDS will add drinks like hot apple cider and hot chocolate. The only obstacle currently in the way to further beverage expansion is space, he said.

The decrease of aluminum cans sold is working hand-in-hand with efforts by the Dartmouth Recycling Program, Napolitano said.

DDS will reduce the amount of packaging by serving beverages in reusable containers according to a memo written by Napolitano that is posted around campus.

"This drive will keep the costs in line and will contribute to a more successful Dartmouth Recycling Program," the memo stated.

According to Napolitano, the wax paper cups and wax milk cartons discarded will be composted. Maison Chen '98 said although he did not notice the change, he thinks Snapple should be easier for students to purchase.

Shawn Thistlethwaite '98 said he liked the convenience of having Snapple in the cafeterias and noted the cans could be recycled.

But students will soon be able to purchase Snapple beverages with their student identification cards when a new Snapple drink machine is installed on the bottom floor of the Collis Center.