Alpha Theta rush posters anonymously torn down

To the Editor,

Alpha Theta coed fraternity recently put up a series of posters advertising its rush. One such poster was specifically aimed at attracting '98 women to rush the house. The poster read as follows:

"'98 Women --

Don't Want to Let Pan-Hell Put You Through Hell?

Reasons to Rush Alpha Theta Co-ed Fraternity Instead:

• MEN! MEN! MEN!

• You only have to come to one house -- ours!

• We've got a blender and we're not afraid to use it!

• You only need to attend one night of rush

• You won't need to buy a new wardrobe

• You won't be asked "What's your major" 432 times

• You might be abducted by a UFO

• You'll know who all the members are BEFORE you join

• Once in a lifetime chance to meet Samson Popowitz IN PERSON

• You won't have to have a counselor to explain everything to you

Alpha Theta Formal Rush Wed. Sept. 27th, Thurs. Sept. 28th, 8-10

Informal Rush Sat. Sept. 30th, 8-10

Come One Night or All!

Alpha Theta Co-ed Fraternity

33 N. Main St. (2 doors north of Kiewit)"

These posters were posted in many locations throughout the campus on Sunday afternoon. However, at 2 p.m. Monday, the posters of this design in both Thayer and Collis had been removed. No one from Pan-Hell contacted Alpha Theta to complain about the posters, but when I ate lunch in Thayer yesterday afternoon, I didn't see the posters I had put up less than 24 hours before. However, the other two posters of different designs were left intact.

While the posters were intended to poke fun at the sorority rush process, they were not intended in any mean spirit. The accompanying jokes that fill out the list make it obvious that the nature of the poster was lighthearted. We wished to focus attention on Alpha Theta without attacking the sorority system.

A beneficial side-effect of the posters was to get women, both sorority members and rushees, to think about the sorority rush process and how it could be improved. It seems that some people on campus do not want this to occur. Alpha Theta would like to encourage an open debate on the matter.

Alpha Theta would like to encourage the person or persons who removed our posters to please come forward and talk with us and thus open the debate on this topic.