Minority organizations allow everyone to find their own niche

Numerous support networks exist at the College for minority students and encourage understanding of minority cultures. Minorities make up about 29 percent of the Class of 1999.

The social and cultural programming helps nurture a supportive environment for its members, and often these programs are opened to the entire Dartmouth community.

While important the Colleges minority groups make up only a fraction of the activities available to students at the College.Native Americans at Dartmouth

NAD fosters the native American community through both support and educational groups. NAD tries to increase awareness and dispel stereotypes throughout the school by examining Native American and contemporary issues, U'i Kepa '97 a member of NAD said.

Kepa said NAD's members come from a myriad of tribal groups from Canada to Hawaii.

NAD sponsors a variety of events including a fall Columbus day event and an annual Pow Wow in the spring. The Occom pond singers, a group of drummers plays for many cultural events.

Native speakers are also brought up to the College as part of NAD's effort to increase understanding of the native American community.Korean American Students Association

"KASA has two goals," KASA vice President Frank Aum '97 said. "One goal is to provide an environment for Korean Americans at Dartmouth to get to know each other and to learn more about their culture."

"The second goal is to educate the entire Dartmouth community about Korean culture," Aum said.

Events sponsored by the organization try to promote Korean culture at the College. In the past activities have included a Korean culture night.Dartmouth Asian Organization

The DAO is the College's Asian student organization. It serves as a center for social and intellectual interaction among Asian-Americans and Asian students.

DAO vice President Esther Chang '97 said the goal of DAO is to promote Asian awareness throughout Dartmouth.

Activities in the past have included dinners, informal gatherings and a Chinese New Year celebration. The organization also has a cultural dance troop.Afro-American Society

The Aam provides ongoing programs designed to meet the specific needs of African-American students at Dartmouth.

The organization provides academic assistance as well planning events and guest lectures. The Cutter-Shabazz Hall, the Aam building, contains a library specializing in Afro-American studies and provides housing for 27 students.La Alianza Latina and La Casa

The purpose of La Alianza Latina, the College's Hispanic students' organization, is to bring together people interested in Latin cultures, studies and languages and to promote Latin American culture on campus.

It also provides a support network for to Latin students on campus.

La Casa provides a cultural, academic and social center for students interested in studying Latino, Latin American, Spanish and Portuguese cultures and languages.Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance

DRA provides information, support and discussion opportunities for gay and lesbian students.

The Alliance also tries to increase awareness of issues and concerns facing homosexuals throughout the College.

Events include an annual drag queen ball during Winter Carnival.