Search for sexual abuse coordinator fails

The year-long search to replace Sexual Abuse Awareness Program Coordinator Heather Earle continues as the four candidates evaluated at the end of last term failed to meet the qualifications necessary for the job.

"In the search, we found candidates with great experience working at the basic level, but our program goes far beyond that," Coordinator of Health Education Programs Gabrielle Lucke said. "It was disappointing it didn't work out for us, but we are not willing to compromise with the position."

Since the spring search process was unsuccessful, Assistant Coordinator of Sexual Awareness and Abuse Programs Liza Veto's contract will be extended for another year.

Veto has served as acting coordinator since Heather Earle left last year to pursue a doctorate at the University of Wisconsin.

Lucke said the search committee will advertise the position in professional publications, such as the Chronicle of Higher Education, and at national conferences dealing with sexual abuse.

"We will take a stronger marketing stance," Lucke said. "We hope to appoint a new coordinator this time next year."

Lucke and Women's Resource Center Director Giavanna Munafo are directing the national search, which was narrowed down to four candidates from a field of 70 applicants in the spring.

University of South Carolina's Residence Hall Director Laurie Aaronson, Assistant Director of Residential Life at Central Connecticut State University Jacqueline Cobbina, Rape Education Coordinator at the University of North Florida Kelly Otte and Director of Counseling and Career Development at the University of Maine Brenda Satrom came to Dartmouth for interviews in the spring.

Each made presentations to students on issues dealing with sexual abuse to help the search members determine whether or not they were appropriate for the position.

But the nine-person committee, including two students, decided not to select any of the candidates.

Lucke said the coordinator needs to have a high level of knowledge about sexual abuse and needs to know how to work with students, faculty and administration.

Veto said that the coordinator advises the Sexual Abuse Peer Advisers and coordinates Sexual Abuse Awareness Week and raises the campus's awareness of sexual assault, domestic violence and gender issues through educational programming.

The coordinator will work on the Committee of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment to review the College's policy on sexual abuse, and serves as an advocate for the victim with Safety and Security, the Hanover police, and the Dean's office and if need be, will serve as the victim's advocate for the Committee on Standards.

Veto graduated from Dartmouth in 1993 with a bachelors of arts degree.

"We are comfortable with Liz," said Lucke. "She is a great coordinator and works well with students and Safety and Security." But she added that for the permanent position, the committee is looking for someone with a masters degree.

Veto said that her experience as coordinator is "great."

"I met a lot of students I didn't know before," Veto said. "The coordinator really has to make a major effort to get in contact with students and go out to meet different groups."

Munafo is out of town and could not be reached for comment about the search.