June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Maceo Parker and the Meters in concert tonight

Downbeat magazine has called his sound "joyful and cutting." The Boston Herald has called him "the gasoline thrown onto James Brown's fire" and The Boston Globe has dubbed him "king of jazz-funk." He is saxophonist Maceo Parker, and along with his band, he will kick off Green Key weekend tonight

Though he is an accomplished musician, having played with James Brown, George Clinton and Bootsy Collins, his strength is the live concert, during which his energy and exuberance are most evident. His live shows are almost legendary among funk/R&B fans, billed as performances with nonstop excitement, soul and energy.

Parker has a distinctive, sultry blues sound on the saxophone derived primarily from the dexterity of Charlie Parker, the hard blues of Cannonball Adderly and the frantic speed of John Coltrane. He has, however, been on the R&B/funk scene so long that he has developed a sound that many other saxophonists now imitate. His melody lines are fluid, reflecting his jazz background, and contain sharp rhythmic patterns, a trademark of funk. Parker also adds a touch of gospel to his fiery alto saxophone to produce a collage of sounds.

Parker and his 9-piece band will perform on the front lawn of Phi Delta Alpha tonight from 4-8 p.m. The rain location of the concert is Webster Hall.

President of Phi Delt Jim Soback said, "This has been a very good year musically: Taj Mahal, B.B. King -- Maceo will hopefully meet or surpass the music provided; a great way to kick off Green Key '95."