Frats Must Change to Survive

SinceI have been a student here, one of the biggest question marks of the campus has surrounded the future of Greek system. Will it be forced to change? Will there be a coed mandate? Will the system survive at all?

Sure, we hear the anti-Greek fervor every year: "Don't rush! They're homophobes! They rape!" And those who believe such things call for the destruction of the Greek system in the name of humanity.

I have been an ardent defender of the Greek system in these pages over the past three years. As a member of a fraternity, I have sought to expose the positives of the system and silence the naysayers. But come lately, as I move closer to leaving this place, I have realized that unless some major changes take place, the anti-Greeks will get their way sooner than we may think.

Our Greek system is somewhat of an enigma. While the fraternities and sororities are closely connected with the College, the Greeks' realm of influence on campus is extremely limited. The College owns two fraternity houses and all six sorority houses, and those not owned by Dartmouth maintain strong ties with the College (i.e. all but one of the independently owned fraternities are wired into Kiewit). Furthermore, the Greek organizations collect their dues and rent largely through college billing.

So, given the close relationship the Greeks have with Parkhurst, one would think that the fraternities and sororities would be very visible and quite actively engaged in campus activities. Not so.

Aside from the big parties, Greeks have very little visibility on campus. And quite frankly, no one cares, because, well, there's free beer on weekends. If this system doesn't seem strange to you, visit a few other campuses where the Greek system prospers and note the widespread visibility of Greek organizations in many facets of campus life.

What's more, there is very little interconnection within the system. The Interfraternity Council has rarely, if ever, been a very useful organization, and basically, fraternity A could care less what goes on at fraternity B. Ask yourself: If there were a culminating event (such as some kind of ultimatum from the administration) which forced the Greeks to band together, would they? Could they? I think the answer is no.

Like it or not, the parties are by and large the only foothold which the Greeks have here on campus. A fraternity with big parties is known as a successful frat, and such parties are the main, if not only, avenue for acquainting oneself with the Greek organizations.

Moreover, the big parties are the chief reason most people would give for the continued existence of the system. What else is there to do in Hanover?

Now let's stop and think about Parkhurst's "new Dartmouth" which we are beginning to see in the form of freshman dorms and an expanded north campus. How will a segregated freshman class and a supposedly more "intellectual" atmosphere affect the Greeks? With no other means of exposure to the system besides big parties, how will the segregated freshmen of the "new Dartmouth" experience the Greek system, if at all?

Under such a system, the Greek system will gradually wither away and die. People will begin to realize that in most cases, our fraternities and sororities are no more than large houses with people living in them who throw big parties. Most likely, the Webster Avenue houses will continue to exist, with random upperclassmen as residents, still throwing parties to satisfy that campus social need.

Contrary to popular belief, Dean Pelton will not one day snap his fingers and end the Greek system. The system will kill itself. Quite frankly, the system has had the rope with which to hang itself for several years. All that remains is to make the noose.

But this scenario can be averted. If the governing bodies of the Greek system (the IFC, the Coed, Fraternity, Sorority Council and the Panhellenic Council) become more than the symbolic organizations that they are now, the Greek system could begin to realize its potential. That potential, however, must necessarily involve Greeks working together to create widespread campus visibility and involvement.

Otherwise, perhaps as soon as our tenth-year reunions, we Greek alumni may not like what we see when we return to our alma mater.