Women's swimming crushes UVM 148-50

The Dartmouth women's swimming team is on the way to its winningest season ever.

The team tied its record for most wins in a season last night with a 148-50 victory over the University of Vermont, raising its record to 7-1 and 4-1 in the Ivy League.

"We had several women swim lifetime best swims," Coach Betsy Wilson said. "That's what it's all about. That's really the highlight for me."

For the eighth time this season, the Big Green opened the meet by winning the medley relay.

Anne Gibson '97, Andrea Hill '97, Allison Cuff '98 and Dawn Lawrie '97 combined for a 1:54.53 in the 200 medley relay.

Emilie Ellis '97 won the 1650 freestyle in 17:54.04, leading a Big Green sweep that left Dartmouth ahead 31-2.

Vermont came back behind Betsy Amos, who touched out Liz Rehrmann '98, beating her by .01 seconds, in the 50 freestyle.

The divers' performances were less consistent, though. Allison Ruff '95 broke her varsity records on both the one meter and the three meter boards.

But Sarah Hobson '97 hit her hand on the board during the one meter competition.

Ruff won the one meter competition with 267.975 points, breaking her own school record of 267.0.

She followed that performance by scoring 278.55 in the three meter competition, breaking her other school record of 276.3 points.

"I really feel bad for Sarah because she's really been working hard and she's had some really good meets," diving Coach Ron Keenhold said.

"Nothing was broken, but it will certainly be sore for quite a while. It's really unfortunate for it to happen in the last four or five weeks."

Ruff's performance left Dartmouth up 68-22 going into the 100 butterfly.

Vermont's Amos won her second event of the meet in front of Cuff, who finished second in 1:01.77.

The Big Green responded by sweeping the top three spots in the 100 freestyle, lead by Kathy Luz '96 with a 57.48.

Liz Rehrmann followed Luz's performance with a 1:02.64 in the 100 backstroke as Dartmouth captured its third one-two-three sweep of the meet.

Ruff and the divers would soon up that number by one as Ann Craig '97 took second with 216.075 points and Debbie Uchtman '97 took third with 205.35 points.

Catherine Sterling '98, Amy Schneeberger '97, Sarah Wilkinson '98 and Wendy Simon '98 won the final event of the meet, the 200 freestyle relay in 1:46.24.

The Big Green will take on Princeton this Saturday at the Karl B. Michael Pool at 1:30 p.m.

The meet will pit the Big Green against the best team in the Ivy League.

Dartmouth will be looking to extend its winning streak to six meets and win its eighth meet of the season for the first timeever in Dartmouth women's swimming history.