Women's swimming beats Cornell 161-80

The women's swim team returned to Ivy League competition against the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday. The Big Green opened an early lead after sweeping the top two spots in the 200 medley relay and widened the lead throughout the meet. Their 161-80 win raised the team's record to 5-1 and 3-1 in the Ivy League.

"I think it's great to win at the end of a couple of long weeks of training," Karen Bysshe '96 said

The road to victory was a different one than the Big Green usually travel. Instead of winning each event, the majority of the points were scored on depth.

In the 1650, Kathy Luz '96, Catherine Sterling '98, and Kerry Vance '98 combined for a 2-3-4 finish. Of course, the Big Green also won their fair share of events, six to be exact. By the fifth event, the Big Green led 62-31.

The divers turned in an impressive performance sweeping both the one meter and the three meter competitions. Allison Ruff '95 won both events with 265.2 points on the one meter and 265.35 on the three meter. Ann Craig '97 finished second to Ruff in both events, edging out teammate Sarah Hobson '97 who finished third in both events.

The most impressive performances in the second half of the meet came in the freestyle events. Liz Rehrmann '98 opened an early lead in the 100 freestyle, exploding for a 25.86 in her first 50 and finishing in 54.63, more than two seconds ahead of the nearest competitor.

Rehrmann also led off the 200 freestyle relay with an equally impressive 25.33. Cory Murhpy '95, Bysshe, and Deb Whitney '96 each turned in 25 point legs to win in 1:41.19, a new pool record.

The Big Green travel to Columbia next Saturday looking for their sixth win.