Streamline the Greek system

Due to the current imbroglio over filling empty

beds, leaders of the Greek system, namely Dani Brune '96 and Matt Raben '96, are talking about the CFS and the greater Dartmouth community. This discourse is a good sign and an opportunity for Greek leaders to take a stand on even bigger issues.

Brune and Raben's support of the new housing proposal is especially interesting because it marks a step away from the thought that Greek unity is to be valued above all other principles.

In trying to argue its virtues, the Greek system is carrying a lot of dead weight. Greek leaders want to say that they are serving the needs of Dartmouth students. Such an argument does not ring so true when some of the houses are struggling to get 10 new members a year, year after year.

Maybe Brune and Raben have recognized this problem. Maybe they have taken the time to see the big picture. Why drag the whole system down in the name of unity?

The current CFS housing issue is not just about beds. If a house cannot fill its physical plant, that is a sign of bigger problems. Houses that are successfully fulfilling student needs attract new members, members who willingly live in the house. Houses that are not contributing to the Dartmouth community do not attract such members.

Perhaps Greek leaders are prepared to take a bold move and address the houses which drag down the entire system. They could tell the smaller houses to "shape up or ship out."

Certainly such a statement would attract criticism from all sides. Small houses want the support provided by being grouped in a system with larger houses. They would be furious with criticism from within the system.

Many members of strong houses would be upset as well. These people are likely to hold tightly to the idea of Greek unity. For many, an attack on one house is an attack on the whole system.

However, such a strong stand might still be wise. The critics of the system do not care about rhetoric and referendums. They want results. They want proof that the system is serving the students.

Membership level is proof. Fifty-eight empty beds are proof.

But a genuine commitment to do something is also proof. If the CFSC gets tough on houses that are not serving the community, rhetoric of the system's values will ring true.

A leaner, meaner Greek system would have increased bargaining power. Currently the system is riddled with weak links; breaking the chain would be more difficult if every link were a strong house.

In a short time, the current controversy over empty beds will be over and faded in our memories. But maybe it will have sparked an interest in the big picture. Maybe somebody is ready to take a stand.