Informed Discourse on First Year Plan

Dartmouth students, when given the chance, have an ability to come through in a pinch.

I'm fresh from Dean of the College Lee Pelton's "town meeting," a discussion between student about the Report on the First Year Experience. I'm rather optimistic about the possibility for intelligent discourse at the College.

Intelligent conversation was in no way guaranteed. A small group of students held a rally before the discussion -- it was a rally against freshman dorms.

In fact, it was a rally against intelligence. Such a rally put the cart before the horse -- the protest before the discussion. No matter where one stands on the issue, we can all agree that a discussion of the issues should come before a protest.

But Dartmouth students came through. Attendance at the rally was small as concerned students on both sides of the issue walked past the rally and into Collis Common Ground.

On that Common Ground an intelligent discussion took place. Certainly some students took advantage of an open mike to spout inarticulate dogma against change. But the overall feel of the night was one of well thought-out discourse.

Students in favor of the recommendations of the report advanced both their position, and most importantly, their reasoning.

Students also expressed their concerns with the proposals. Notably, Hosea Harvey '95 and Bill Kartalopoulos '97 moved away from dogma and actually presented alternatives to the plan.

While I am not convinced that either idea is particularly feasible, what is more important is the very act of making constructive criticism.

One night of success, however, is hardly an established track record of student brilliance. It is important that we think of last night as a beginning.

The final report will not be presented to the Trustees until the Spring term Trustee meeting. That gives students time.

Everyone seems to agree that this is a crucial issue for Dartmouth. Various groups have already shown that they can express opinions before the discussion. Now is the time for action and redemption.

Student groups can work together to write constructive counter proposals. Students in favor of the proposal can organize forums, to further educate the student body.

All this might be an excess of optimism. Maybe nobody gets together before the recommendations are presented to the Trustees. Maybe the extent of organized student activity on this issue will continue to consist of placards and dogma.

But the average student is not a member of Conservative Union At Dartmouth or the Student Assembly or Young Democrats. Yet, almost all the credit for last night's intelligent discussion should go to the average student.

Even if no more "formal" discussion takes place, I am still optimistic about these average students. Discussion will continue. Hopefully the foundation has been laid. The facts are out. Unlike the past, future discussions will be grounded in fact.

In reality, that is exactly what the entire report is about -- students from the same freshman seminar bumping into each other and continuing a class discussion.

The report is about average students casually hanging out with a member of the senior faculty. It's about broadening the definition of social life for average students.

It's ironic and fitting. Most likely, the fate of freshman residence halls lies with the average Dartmouth student.