Women's hockey prepares for Eagles

The women's ice hockey team took on two Canadian teams last weekend in exhibition matches to get warmed up for its official season, which will begin with a home game against Boston College next Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.

The Big Green dropped a close 4-2 match Saturday to Concordia University, one of Canada's top women's teams. After an emotional game, Dartmouth was slightly stale Sunday when they tied St. Lawrence University of Quebec 1-1.

"It was all right," Coach George Crowe said. "I think we can play better, but we exposed the areas we need to work on.

With seven freshmen coming in, the team is quite young, and the Big Green hope to come together more as a team.

"It's all part of getting an understanding of what your job is, Crowe said. "I don't think they felt the same rhythm at times. We just need work on little fundamental areas," Crowe said. "It isn't anything we can't correct. These things are probably going to happen this early in the season."

This week will mark the first full week of practice with all players. Prior to now, four of the Big Green's competitors were busy finishing up fall sports.

Going into the season, Dartmouth has high hopes of competing high in ECAC competition and in the Ivy League.

"They have a definite idea now of what it is going to take," assistant coach Judy Parish '91 said. "They know what they need to do to get up to that level."

This weekend, the team will be playing two exhibition games against the New Brunswick Provincial Team at Thompson arena. Friday's game will begin at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday's face-off will be at 8:00 p.m.