Women's basketball wins exhibition game 58-47

With just one week remaining until the start of its official season, the women's basketball team hosted Sporitelna Bratislava from Slovakia on Saturday. Dartmouth defeated Slovakia with a final score of 58-47.

The Slovakian players displayed considerable roughness in the first half, and it took the Big Green some time to adapt to the unusual style of play.

"We came out slow and hesitant," said Coach Chris Wielgus. "We missed a lot of outside shots and then started to panic."

The Big Green trailed Slovakia throughout the first half and were down 24-31 at half-time, but the team was determined to fight back.

"We were not getting back on defense, and we were letting Slovakia get points off the fast break" said Sally Annis '97, the 1993-94 Ivy Rookie of the Year. "On the offensive end, we were not getting any offensive rebounds, so we weren't getting second shots."

"To get the offensive flow going, we knew we had to emphasize the defense," Wielgus said. "Slovakia was playing a great zone defense, and it took us a while to adapt to it."

In the second half, the Big Green were able to adapt. After two key baskets by forward Laurie Stucker '95, the Dartmouth intensity was at full force. It was just a matter of time before the team took control of the lead.

The turnover came with 11:25 remaining in the second half. Ilsa Webeck '95 stood on the foul line, calmly fixed her ponytail, and sunk her second free throw. Dartmouth was in the lead, 39-38.

Dartmouth dominated the second half, outscoring Slovakia 25-9. Annis led the team in scoring, racking up 13 points, including a three-pointer in the second half. Forward Kira Lawrence '96 grabbed an impressive 8 rebounds.

"I'm delighted we had this exhibition game," said Wielgus. "I think the reason why we came out so slow last season was because we have had very little practice. Every time the kids play, they improve, and I think this game was a good experience for them."

With one game under their belts, the Big Green will now prepare for next Saturday's season opener against the University of Vermont, at 2 p.m.

"We'll spend the whole week getting ready for Vermont," said Wielgus. "They are very young, but very talented, and we will have to step our game up a level. It will be a tough match, but I think we're capable of beating any team we play."