Men's tennis finishes season at Rolex Regional Championships

The men's tennis team wrapped up its fall season last weekend when four players traveled to Princeton University to compete in the annual Rolex Regional Championships.

Although none of the Big Green players qualified to advance to the national level, Coach Chuck Kinyon said he was pleased with the performance of his players.

Matt Fuller '97 won two rounds and advanced to round 32 before falling to Princeton's number one player, Reed Cordish, 6-2, 6-3. En route to that match, Fuller knocked off the University of Pennsylvania's number one player, Neil Aaronson, in an impressive 6-4, 6-2 straight set victory.

The Big Green's number one player, Jim Rich '96, was seeded number five going into the tournament, but ran into a tough University of Miami player in the second round and was defeated 6-3, 7-6.

"Jimmy had plenty of opportunities, but he just couldn't quite do it," Kinyon said. "He had to run into a tough player and that's too bad because I think, given the opportunity, he could have worked his way into the tournament."

Avery Rueb '98 and Kurt Bruggeman '95 also traveled with Dartmouth but were knocked off early in qualifying rounds where players competed to get into the 64 singles draw. In doubles, Bruggeman and Fuller were seeded fourth but fell early among the 48 individual teams competing.

For the Eastern region, 42 collegiate teams traveled to Princeton to compete. A total of 88 players battled it out in Princeton's six indoor court facility. Those placing in the top two earned bids to the national tournament.